Saturday, July 21, 2012

Three Songs

I don't know which of these I heard first, but between the three of them I fell in love with African music.

Most likely it was Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes that I heard first. It is a hauntingly beautiful song that appeals to my innate mystic sense, but when I first heard Youssou N'Dour's ethereal vocal crescendo at around 4:30 I was transported to a place I did not know.


I've been following that sound since.

I first heard Johnny Clegg in the early 80s. It was this particular lyric...

Ancient bones from Olduvai
Echoes of the very first cry
"Who made me, here and why? --
Beneath this copper sun."

My very first beginnings
Beneath the copper sky
Lie deeply buried
In the dust of Olduvai

And we are scatterlings of Africa
Both you and I...
in this particular song...


...that touched something deep and organic in me.

Paul Simon's Graceland had one song in particular that dropped the veil for me. The guitar and vocal accompaniment on this song is pure life, devoid of all artifice and pretence.



These songs have done more to transform my taste than any others.

2 comments:

  1. "So" and "Graceland" were two very iconic albums... both of which I had on vinyl... if I remember correctly they came out about the same time... a time of global recognition of what was happening in South Africa... with Mandela and the government, etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me it was just the music. I am agnostic on South African politics.

      Delete

ShareThis