Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Music I Love

I love all type of music. From the simplest folk guitar to elaborate Indian symphonies. Of what draws me to a particular song or artists talent and skill are important, but there is a certain undefinable quality of hearing some piece of the performers self in what they do. For this reason I'm not a big opera fan. I can appreciate the story telling and the sheer talent of the performers, but there is an artifice and pretense in the style that often buries the human being.

As a consequence I am drawn to folk and popular music styles because there is often a strong sense of the individuals involved.

I grew up in the 1960s and '70s. The flowering of Rock as exemplified by the Beatles and the California Folk/Psychedelic explosion are viscerally music for me. I have long since broadened my tastes to include Indian music, African, Latin and all manner of Art music. About the only thing I avoid is popular commercial music. Most of what ends up on the radio in the US is abysmal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis